Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Multiple Facets

One of the most helpful comments I heard during my interviews with Gia-fu's family, friends, colleagues, and acquaintances, came from C.H., Gia-fu's next youngest brother.  When I asked C.H. about a circumstance revealing what seemed a contradiction between Gia-fu's words and actions, he said this.  "Ah, Carol.  People are multi-faceted.  And Gia-fu, even more so."

I've come to appreciate C.H.'s wisdom again and again as I hear from people who knew Gia-fu. Some knew him well, others slightly, still others knew him only for a short time, perhaps a few months and in a particular environment. Many understood the complex being they encountered. Others focused primarily on one or two facets, not seeing the complexity beyond. But all hold this in common: whether one, two, or many, all found Gia-fu's facets  memorable.


1 comment: